By Arielle Giordano
Being responsible means being empowered in the way we live our lives.
Are you a victim or a take-charge person?
Do you feel empowered or disempowered in life?
Would you like to change to become fully present and responsible every day?
Life brings a cornucopia of choices and experiences that we can relate to and identify as either challenges or opportunities. Some experiences we like and some we dislike. They can bring joy and fulfillment, or they can bring pain and disappointment. We have the freedom of choice to interpret our experiences. We can choose to perceive them as negative or positive.
Standing in our power means that we are aware of being fully responsible for our choices, experiences, and lives. The empowering realization is that every situation and experience has an element of goodness within it. That goodness comes in the form of a golden morsel of knowledge and truth. Being responsible means being empowered in the way we live our lives. We can choose to live as a victim and have pity parties, or we can know we are in full control of our choices and our lives.
How do we move from the perspective of being a victim to living in our power? We take baby steps on the path to becoming more responsible human beings. We know that we can choose to step into power. This may mean choosing something that we do not want on some level, do not agree with, or do not like. As empowered human beings, we make some choices because we know that at a very deep, intuitive level, they bring us to the next steps on our journey. Yes, consequences incur with each choice. Yes, there is also a price we pay for each choice.
The Dance of Empowerment and Powerful Living
The following steps will help you move from being a victim into a responsible and powerful human being:
- Be aware. Know that you created all of your life challenges, experiences, and lessons.
- Be responsible. Responsibility lies in the eye of the beholder. Know that you are responsible for all of your experiences, choices, and consequences.
- Avoid the blame and shame game at all costs. Know that there is no one to blame and this is not about feeling shame or playing games.
- Be proactive instead of reactive. Put yourself into your life instead of just letting life happen. Do something each day to achieve a goal, solve a problem, or resolve an issue.
- Experience your power. Know that you are a powerful being. It is up to you to achieve a power balance. Do not abuse your power or ignore it. Find your inner balance of power and choose to move forward in it.
- Move forward. Take steps each day to let go of the attitude of victimization.
- Love and enjoy living in the power of you!
Arielle Giordano’s new book, Dancing with Your Story from the Inside Out, was released in March 2017. With a Masters of Arts and Masters of Education, Arielle is an author, professional dancer, inspirational speaker, certified Essentrics/Aging Backwards instructor, and workshop facilitator. She enjoys sharing her gifts and talents
with an authentic style rich in the grace of dance, psychology, philosophy and the expressive arts. Her career includes: provisional psychologist, guidance counselor and substance-abuse therapist. As a Lead Faculty Area Chairperson and Faculty Member for College of Humanities at the University of Phoenix, she inspired students with her creative gifts. She also writes for Tampa Bay Wellness, We Woman and Transformation Magazine.