What were your dreams in 2017? What would you like to release? What goals did you achieve? Imagine all that you are carrying in your mind, body and spirit is being released and you are open and ready for a new beginning in 2018! The less you hold on to from the past, the easier it is for you move forward!
Here is a simple process to release 2017 and dance your dreams in 2018:
Brainstorming is a process that allows you to think outside of the box. Write down your answers to the following questions. Be honest and connect with your heart during the process, and try doing this the old-fashioned way. Take a piece of paper and draw a line down the center. List your responses for questions 1 and 2 (2017) on the left and for 3, 4 and 5 (2018) on the right.
1) List of all the things that you are grateful for in 2017. What were your accomplishments and achievements?
2) What would you like to leave behind in 2017 such as patterns that no longer serve you, pain, negative thoughts, feelings, unhealthy habits, memories, relationships, etc.?
3) List your dreams for 2018, no matter how big or bold. What would you like to create? What new skills would you like to learn? Where would you like to travel? What are your financial, health, wellness, work, career, relationship and family goals?
4) Be creative and write down changes, experiences and new ways of being for 2018.
5) List specific and achievable goals for 2018. What do you honestly believe you can create and achieve in the next 12 months? Use your dreams from question 3 as the foundation. What do you want to accomplish in your personal and professional life?
Open your heart to connect with your future using creative expression!
Being present means experiencing NOW. A sensory experience is where you are, what you are listening to, seeing, feeling, tasting and smelling in the moment. Review your list from last year (2017). Let yourself experience your thoughts and feelings and physical sensations.
Now it’s time to set yourself free from past emotions, thoughts, feelings, memories and experiences. Find a means of creative expression to let go and release the pent up energy that is being held in your body, mind, heart and soul. Letting go can be fun. Creative expression can help you look into the window of the past with the ability to see and create the future! Some favorites are: dancing, walking, working out, sharing thoughts and feelings, journaling, making art, painting, using clay, building, cooking, baking cookies—anything that appeals to you around being creative and having fun.
By engaging in a process that includes motion (i.e., physical activity of some type), you are setting the stage for success in 2018. Use the positive energy from this exercise to release the old help you bring your dreams to life as we get ready to ring in the New Year.
Arielle Giordano’s new book, Dancing with Your Story from the Inside Out, was released in March 2017. With a Masters of Arts and Masters of Education, Arielle is an author, professional dancer, inspirational speaker, certified Essentrics/Aging Backwards instructor, and workshop facilitator. She enjoys sharing her gifts and talents with an authentic style rich in the grace of dance, psychology, philosophy and the expressive arts. Her career includes: provisional psychologist, guidance counselor and substance-abuse therapist. As a Lead Faculty Area Chairperson and Faculty Member for College of Humanities at the University of Phoenix, she inspired students with her creative gifts. She also writes for Tampa Bay Wellness, We Woman and Transformation Magazine.