I think any age we hit that ends with a zero really begins to create reflection, and 40 is no different for me. I’ve been reflecting on it a lot. There was a time in my life when I didn’t think I would ever make it to the age of 40. I was kind of a hippie, and I still am at heart. For some reason I thought I’d be like Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison or Kurt Cobain and die at 27. (Only in my dramatic and ever-so-tortured teen mind.) Not that I thought I was cool enough to be in the “27 Club;” I just resonated with them in my younger years. Five to One, Me and Bobby McGee, Purple Haze, and In My Life, the latter by the Beatles, were among the songs I connected with at a deep level, even though they were not from my generation. Maybe I was there in a past life?
Growing up, I didn’t quite have a vision for myself and felt like I was a lost soul. But in retrospect, I was just on a path to find a deeper meaning to life. I would never change anything because it has made me who I am today.
My life has had its twists and turns, and I’ve had to overcome so much including divorce, being a single mom, putting myself through school during this time, addiction, obesity, health problems, heartache, loss and so many other things in between. I’ve held onto beliefs like “I’m not good enough,” “I don’t belong,” and “I’m not worthy, or valuable to make a difference in this world.” I have evolved to realize that life’s too short to hold onto those beliefs. I’ve realized that holding onto beliefs like that only keep me stuck and keep me from being who I am truly meant to be in this world.
When we can open up the wounds, heal them, and let go of the past, we can create a new meaning for our lives, and we can really begin to live.
I am beyond grateful and honored to be able to say that I am 40 years old now. I feel privileged. Along the way, I have begun to discover my soul truth and come into alignment with who I really am as a soul, as a woman and as a human. I cherish each moment because I am honored to be walking this path on Earth for a short time to live my soul’s purpose.
I have learned most recently that I can have my heart’s desire. It is because we all deserve that kind of freedom, that kind of abundance and joy. We ALL deserve it. We all deserve the kind of love that is unwavering, unconditional and unending. We all deserve to do things that bring us joy each day.
We all are in charge of creating and manifesting the life we want and building the reality we will set foot into in the future—because it begins now. There is no shortage. There is no hierarchy. Each day is a gift. Cherish it. We are not victims of our circumstances. We are empowered with all the tools we need to make change happen. We get to choose. Everything is a choice. We just have to believe in a new reality. We need to support each other’s growth.
I am blessed to be a part of this world and to make a difference in the lives of others, which brings me joy and fulfillment. I’m excited to do all the things that I love to do: travel, compete in physically challenging events, build relationships, kayak, cycle, attend concerts, see Michelle Obama, get my motorcycle license, learn the ways of a shaman. The future has no bounds of what is possible. When I think about coming into alignment with my truth and who I want to be and what I want to experience, it is pure joy, pure passion and pure love. Because isn’t that what we all are at the deepest level?
I am 40, see me soar!
A few things I have learned along the way:
- My Body is my temple—what goes into it is EVERYTHING…food, drink, thoughts, emotions, etc….and it impacts every part of my being: physical, emotional, spiritual.
- Everything is energy and energy changes. If you don’t like something, change the energy around it and you will have a much different experience.
- Love is the only thing that is real. Everything else is an illusion. We are all love. And we all get to choose what we want to focus on.
- Conformity is constricting. Following the crowd doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do or the best thing for me.
- Everyone needs a hug, maybe three, maybe 10. Physical touch is what we all need everyday.
- My body speaks to me; I just need to listen to what it needs. It’s subtle, but profound.
- Age is just a number, it’s how you feel and the meaning you give it that makes the most difference.
- Living a heart-centered approach to life is empowering and life giving.
- Nothing happens in a vacuum. Everyone affects everything. Every small action has a reaction. The world is our sanctuary; we must respect it as so.
Things I am still in embracing:
- Learning to say no and not take on too much.
- Learning to BE, rather than always DOing.
- Being okay with uncertainty.
- Loving what’s not perfect yet—or imperfectly perfect.
- Making the leap and trusting my inner guidance.
Stacy Musial is president of Health Coach Connect and a Licensed Clinical Social Worker with a passion for whole-person wellness. She received her Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Social Work at Colorado State University and has been providing mental health therapy to individuals in community mental health, private practice and online therapy venues. She began her journey into health when she realized her own was not optimal and it impacted the way she felt physically, emotionally and spiritually. Her journey led her to earn a certificate from the Institute for Integrative Nutrition.® She enjoys running, biking, yoga and fermenting yummy foods. Visit Health Coach Connect online at healthcoachconnect.com.