As I sauntered through Citrus Park Mall in Tampa, FL, during this past holiday season, a certain window display completely stopped me in my tracks. Rather than finding the typical trappings of shiny baubles or neon signs with “Sale! Sale! Sale!”, this particular shop (Eddie Bauer) had something completely different in store: A list of 50 of the highest points in the United States and beyond, along with a way to follow the journey of two intrepid female mountaineers—hardly the traditional holiday fare!
Naturally, my eyes fell to the pinnacle of their journey, mighty Mt. Everest, and immediately my brain began to show me gripping images of freezing weather, primitive camping and oxygen tanks. Needless to say, I was, at that moment, only seeing this as “their” journey. BUT when I shifted my focus to the BEGINNING of the list and saw that the first stop would be FLORIDA—and that this trail of pinnacles included a peak in Kansas called Mount Sunflower—a new vision began to shape that included…ME!
What if I decided to follow this path of peaks, but did it on MY terms?
- I could choose to climb only one mountain or several.
- I could reach one peak per year, per month, per decade, or per century, simply based on what would work best for me at any given time.
- I could share all or part of my journey with my sweetheart and favorite human beings, or opt to climb solo when it felt right and good to me.
As I played with the idea of even choosing to BEGIN this journey, my heart soared and several thoughts came pouring in like waterfalls after a heavy rain! In addition to having the joy of drinking in gorgeous views from each of these beautiful high places and spaces, I could also discover:
- Amazing new trails!
- Stunning new terrain!
- Hidden gem cities and towns!
- Scenic drives and off-the-beaten-path routes!
- All sorts of birds and wildlife!
- Fabulous flowers and plants!
- Fun local coffee shops!
- New wines, beers and ciders!
- New lodging options!
- Art galleries and artists!
- Great food!
- Great moments with cool people!
- New ideas!
- New music and songs to write and share!
- New material for books and articles!
- Deeper connection with my true self, the ones I love and my Source!
- Memories and more great tales of fun and adventure!
- Abilities and skills that I never knew I had!
- The potential for elevating my “joy threshold” beyond anything I have ever experienced before!
- More beginnings of more new journeys!!
Wow! Wait a minute…
This is starting to sound familiar. Kind of like…LIFE.
Perhaps choosing to climb a mountain, write a book, learn a language, start a new career or better yourself in some way, etc., is just an excuse to accept an invitation to engage with and enjoy LIFE ITSELF?
- What if instead of feeling like you HAVE to do everything on any given list, you choose to only do the things that matter most and that have the greatest potential for joy and fun?
- What if the only one who is truly judging you or your progress in this life is actually just Y.O.U.—and that as THE judge and jury you can break, bend or remake the rules as YOU see fit?
- What if you answered the call of a new adventure and allowed yourself to explore new territory simply because you WANT to do it?
- What if you remembered that in this New Year—and EVERY year—you truly are free to decide to DO—or not to do.
Whether you choose to climb every mountain, reinvent yourself, find inspiration in a store window or simply try a new wine, may this bright and beautiful New Year be one more great excuse to ignite your inner fire and decide to really, actually, fully LIVE.
“There’s an open road before us
A new chapter to begin
It’s time to take a leap of faith—and I›m jumping in!»
—From «Here We Go!» (c) 2016 TTRH, from the musical, «12»
Terez “Firewoman” Hartmann,“Your catalyst for all things Fab-YOU-lous,” is the author of Allowing Your Success!, a proud contributing author of Transform Your Life! book one and two, a professional Keynote Speaker/Workshop Facilitator, Singer-Songwriter/Recording Artist, “Allowing Adventures!” & “Savor Vacation” Facilitator, and true Renaissance Woman, and Visionary. She keeps her fire lit by embracing and promoting a lifestyle of “Allowing,” and by using creative expression to elevate and ignite the human spirit, a passion that she shares with her husband, soul-mate and creative partner of over 15 years, John Victor Hartmann. Together they share “Allowing TRUE LOVE” workshops and experiences designed to help others attract, allow, and maintain extraordinary relationships, and create custom jingles and voice-overs in their Safety Harbor-based studio, THE Creativity Express. Visit: www.TerezFirewoman.com