The great news—that spiritual teachers have tried to share in the past—is right before your eyes! What better way to start a new year than to really get this truth, to internalize it and let it shape your every thought, word, and deed?
What great news am I talking about? I’ll tell you later in the article but, first, it’s important to understand why no one likely ever told you this before.
Your five senses may indicate that you are just your physical body but, in truth, you are much more than that. Here are a few facts that indicate how little of reality you perceive:
- most humans use less than 1 percent of their brain capacities
- much of the brain’s function is inhibitory, that is, it limits what you can sense; otherwise, you would be bombarded by sensory input and not be able to function
- if all the existing light and energy (what life is ultimately comprised of) in our world were the size of Mt. Everest, your five senses can only detect a golf ball-sized portion. As such, most humans are looking at life through a pinhole in a wall while thinking they are seeing the full picture.
The universe is amazingly vast on a macro scale (to get a better sense of this, watch the Hubble 3D movie):
- our planet is traveling at 66,000 miles per hour, traveling around the sun each year, and rotating on its axis and yet, to human senses, earth appears to be standing still
- approximately 200 billion stars like our Sun exist in our galaxy, the Milky Way
- about 100 billion galaxies exist within just the currently known physical universe
- in this vast universe, nebulae spew forth cocoons of energy/matter that have the potential to birth new galaxies
- physicists theorize the existence of multiple universes and dimensions in an ever-expanding cosmos
Now, let’s go the other way, on a micro scale (to gain a better sense of this, view a drop of pond water through a microscope):
- your body’s 15 trillion or so cells each have smaller components (organelles)
- these, in turn, consist of molecules, atoms and subatomic particles (protons, neutrons, electrons) that are made of even smaller particles (quarks, etc.)
- if the nucleus of a hydrogen molecule were the size of a marble, its single electron would be half a mile away; that’s a lot of space amidst seeming solidity
- upon closer inspection, the smallest particles have properties of both a wave and a particle, existing as an interplay between energy and matter
Millennia ago, most humans understandably had a difficult time comprehending the vastness of life. They did the best they could, but had only their five senses with which to collect data. As such, they had a very narrow view of reality. They made up stories in an attempt to make sense of what was going on, and those stories were passed down through the ages. From these limited perspectives, what could be seen was “real” while everything else was “imaginary” (from a materialism viewpoint) or “spiritual” (from a religious standpoint.) Scary events such as catastrophes, illness, and death were thought to be controlled by a powerful being in the sky, and every effort was made to placate this “God” in hopes of avoiding bad things.
Elaborate rituals and belief systems were devised in an attempt to figure out how to have good weather, victory over enemies, enough to eat, and survival of death. Interestingly, many of their archaic and erroneous beliefs are still held today by those with “uninquiring” minds.
Similarly, your life-view has been based upon only what you could see through a small pinhole in a wall. That’s all you could see, so you naturally thought that’s all there was. With that limited vision, you may have mistakenly thought that:
1. this earthly life is a chaotic, senseless, and scary time of suffering
2. you could make mistakes that would result in—you guessed it—more suffering, but this time for eternity
3. when your physical body dies, that’s it, end of story
4. if there is an afterlife, your departed loved ones “know nothing” until a resurrection, or they are a trillion zillion miles away in the sky somewhere
5. any Higher Power—if one even existed—was distant and separate from you and was to be feared and appeased
6. there’s earth “here” and spirit world “over there somewhere” with a dividing line in between
This list of misunderstandings, which greatly affects the quality and quantity of earthly life, goes on and on.
Fortunately, there is much more to life than meets the eye. The beliefs listed above are the result of a limited “golf ball” perspective versus a fuller “Mt. Everest” view. Today, you can benefit from contemporary evidence and strategies for enlarging your understanding of reality. These show that the same energy and intelligence that created and sustains all life exists within you.
Put another way, you are a special and fundamental part of All That Is. Life is, most fundamentally, comprised of energy and light that is ever-changing, but never-ending. And that’s what you really are—an indestructible being of energy, light, consciousness, spirit. That means you don’t really die, you never “lose” your loved ones, you are one with God right now, you are an eternal being right now, and you have everything you need to create the greatest life of your dreams.
It may take awhile to wrap your head around all this, but after you do, you will become much more clear that life is a totally safe, purposeful, and magnificent adventure amidst forever.
As always, let me know if I can assist you or your loved ones in any way.
Mark Pitstick, MA, DC is an author, radio show host, frequent media guest, chiropractic physician, clinical psychologist, and workshop leader who helps you know and show your magnificence in body, mind, and spirit. Visit his website at www.soulproof.com for FREE radio shows, e-mail newsletters, articles, and special reports. In January and February 2015, he will teach classes at FL churches: www.soulproof.com/workshops.html. To schedule a Soul Proof experiential workshop in your area, contact him at email@example.com 740-775-2189.