Peeking into the past empowers us to release tension, negative energy, and disempowering experiences.
I recently realized how powerful past experiences can influence our present lives. It happened when I was working with a coach to process a betrayal in my present life, and I connected it back to my divorce. During the process of separation, my best female friend told me that she had a lunch date with my husband. I was so shocked that all I could do was react with anger. That was the end of our friendship. We never spoke again.
While the new situation did not involve a close friend, the awareness of betrayal from the previous incident moved forward anyway, and it allowed me to see how experiences hold and carry energy. The important point here is that by understanding that we are clinging to past experiences, we can take the first step in figuring out how to release them and more forward without “the baggage.”
In this case, I asked myself, “Did I repress this event to avoid pain?” and “Was this event brought into light from my unconscious mind to my conscious mind?” My answer is yes on both questions. The movement and awareness from the unconscious into the conscious mind can be a powerful method to release energy and tension, and observing this helped to set me free from the initial betrayal experience. Did this come up into my conscious awareness to be released and healed? Again, my answer is indeed a resounding “yes” and, as a result, I am now free to move forward in my present romantic relationship without this burden and interference.
If you, too, are ready to engage in releasing past experiences, those that are holding you back and keeping you stuck, here are 10 steps to follow on your own journey toward peace and happiness in the present:
- Think of the things that keep coming up in your life: issues, dilemmas, and/or problems.
- Pick one issue/dilemma/problem as your focus.
- Relax, take deep breaths, listen to music, dance, and give yourself permission to think of the first time this issue/dilemma/problem occurred in your life.
- Explore the details: age, place, people, and circumstances. Identify the “who, what, when, where, and how” of the issue/dilemma/problem.
- Allow yourself to know and see all that is coming up for you.
- Journal and write with your favorite pen and paper.
-Write down your issue, and include all the details and circumstances.
-Answer the question, “What am I attracting into my life?”
-Explore through your writing and be honest with yourself. Let yourself flow with whatever comes to you. There is nothing to fear; the truth will set you free!
- Find clarity: Find the real issue that you are dealing with and how you are participating in or contributing to the situation.
- Let the answer come to you in the “flow.” You do not have to go looking for it.
- Be open and soft in the receiving and surrender to the answer.
- As you begin to know and flow, you grow!
Arielle Giordano, Masters of Arts, Masters of Education, is a professional dancer, choreographer, teacher, facilitator, and published author. She enjoys sharing her gifts and talents with an authentic style rich in grace in dance, psychology, philosophy, and the expressive arts. As a Lead Faculty Area Chairperson and Faculty Member for College of Humanities at the University of Phoenix, she inspires students with her profound knowledge of Humanities, Art, Psychology, and Philosophy. She is a published author of two books and many magazine articles.
Arielle offers seminars and workshops for women, creativity, and dance. She has been a guest speaker on radio and television, featured in newspapers and magazines across the United States and Canada. Visit dancingfromtheinsideout.com, email email@example.com or call 813-545-7173.